Monday, November 4, 2013

Memoirs of a Potty Training Mama

Here's another one from my archives...comprised of a few different days of writing. This one's a bit long and really only applies to anyone who wants to hear about potty training. This one was a doozy!!

Memoirs of a Potty Training Mama

My sweet baby girl, about to turn 2 this Saturday, is kissing diapers good-bye. I’m only on the 2nd day of this interesting roller coaster, but, from what I’ve experienced in the last 36 hours, I can tell this is something I gotta keep a record of for my own benefit and for some other poor, sweet mamas out there. So, here goes…
Day 1: I woke up – excited, anxious and resolved to begin. I had told Mariah the day before that she’s “not going to wear diapers anymore, but she’s going to go peepee on the potty. Yay!” I’d purchased the teeniest panties out there and had them all washed and raring to go. I’d gotten lots of advice from one of my Big Sister Mamas (every girl needs them in her life) and had chosen this day to begin. I’ll list her tips (and mine) at the bottom in case any of you want to choose the same route I did. Anyway, I thought I was prepared for what I’d be up against but that was kind of a pipe dream. By noon, she had already wet 6 pairs of panties, and had only been up since 8am! I had cleaned up, stepped in (and crawled in) more pee than I’d known could come out of her sweet little productive body. I’d gotten pee dripping down my leg from carrying her to the potty, on my shorts from sitting her on my leg only to discover yet another accident, and on my socks (it was only after lunch that I realized slippers were in order). As you can imagine, I was frustrated, sad, doubtful, confused, exhausted, discouraged, and…did I say frustrated? I was lucky enough to have the very BSM who’d given me the advice at my house for a few hours that day. She saved my life!!! But even with her there, all of those feelings still felt like more than I could bear. I learned that I needed to redefine the “win.” My expectations/goals for that day changed to:

(a)   her becoming uncomfortable with peeing in her panties (she would get a worried/sad look on her face and come running to me when it happened) 
(b)   lots of pee on the floor (that way, I was not surprised and frustrated when it happened) 
(c)    her getting familiar with being on the potty
For this day, and the next few, I learned that she’s just beginning to know what it feels like before you have to go pee, what it feels like to actually go pee into the potty and how to control her muscles so she can hold it or let it go. Another hot tip was that I wash out her panties in hot water in the sink. That helped a ton since I don’t have a washer/dryer and I would’ve needed about 20 pair of underwear that first day. The second half of Day 1 was a bit less stressful, but still exhausting, confusing and difficult. God, in His infinite wisdom and love, led me to a perfect scripture:

“Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.” 2 Corinthians 4:16-18
Day 2: I woke up with very different expectations. I sensed that my mindset would make a huuuuge difference in my day. After reading all of 2 Corinthians 4, I prayed and was ready. God helped me to think about and connect with what is most important: love. I want Mariah to feel loved by me during this whole process. If she gets the potty training thing down quickly, but feels pressured and sad, it’s not worth it. But, if it takes a few weeks to get it down and she has fun learning, that’s a great gift I can give her!! My mom always made learning fun. That meant so much to me, and I’ll never forget that. Well, I’m happy to tell you that the difference between Days 1 & 2 was unbelievable!! We had so much fun, dancing, laughing, peeing and cleaning it up. My expectations for that day were the same as the day before. I also kept trying to get her to practice sitting on the potty (whether she had to go or not) and just say (whether she had to or not) “I have to go potty!” There was a great youtube clip that helped with this. Just type those words and you’ll find it. On this day, she pooped on the potty for the first time. She showed a lot of anxiety when it came to this. She was already sitting on the potty and she kept saying she needed to caca. She was nervous and I kept saying “you can do it,” just to help her calm down. Eventually she went. I celebrated a bunch and sang and danced. We cleaned her up and got her treat at which point she promptly peed all over her bedroom floor. I think she didn’t know how to do both in the potty at the same sitting. I fell for this one on Day 3 as well. Today is Day 4, so hopefully I’ll be able to help her with this if it comes up (or comes out) again. J

This was taken after she pooped. She felt free as a bird!!


Day 3: I prayed about my expectations and tried to set them in a good place. She had gone 2 days without going potty in her bed during nap and overnight. It was amazing and unexpected! Anyway, I was feeling hopeful since I had my friends praying, and kept sharing my heart about the process as it happened. However, about midday, I felt the frustration coming back. She did the poop and pee/ding-dong-ditch thing and I was baffled. Plus I was feeling like she should be getting more of a hold (no pun intended) on her bladder control. I was just plain wrong!
When she went down for her nap, I had some more time with God. He listened to my cry (literally) and heard my heart out. I needed to share everything I was feeling. Then He calmed the storms inside. He helped me to see that if I knew exactly all that would happen, and how long it would take for her to get potty trained, I would be more at peace and wouldn’t struggle with hope. But hope that is seen is no hope at all. Who hopes for what they already have? But if we hope for what we do not yet have, we wait for it patiently.” Romans 8:24-25

That helped me to decide to put my trust in Him- that though I don’t know the how or when, I trust Him to bring it. EVERYTHING IS SPIRITUAL. This is my motto of life. Though potty training seems like some important part of child-rearing and parent training, it’s much heavier on the parent training part than I knew. I don’t always trust God. And when I don’t, I’m consumed with fear, anxiety and hopelessness. But when I choose to believe Him and believe in Him, peace overtakes the storm. He also helped me to reset my expectations and remind myself that Mariah feeling loved by me was most important. I reread my 2 Corinthians 4 scripture and was ready to be in the fight again. The rest of the day felt like cake!!!
Day 4: About midday today, I had a turning point moment with God. As she was still having multiple accidents throughout the day, I had to get deeply honest and assess what I was doing. For the first time, I had to really think about the possibility that she may not be ready. I didn’t want to face this before, as I was ready. But as God walked me through my heart about it, I was able to let go. Why do you want her potty trained? I think she’s ready, I don’t want to buy so many diapers, and I’d love for her to move to this next stage of life. Do you want that even if she’s not ready? Oh…well…no. I don’t want to push her in a way that is hurtful just so I can get what I want. OK, then. Keep riding out the week you committed to potty training and you’ll know then. I realized I do love my daughter so much. And I know there will be many times in life where I will have to be willing to humbly assess whether what I am leading her to do is for her benefit or for mine. This was the first time God so clearly led me through one of them. I’m happy that this time, I listened to Him, and I pray that that will be my choice in the future.

* * *
Day 24: We are in the Promised Land!! Tehe…it doesn’t mean there are no accidents. I’m going to consider that we’re in potty training for at least the next few months. But, now she hardly ever has an accident, and if she does, it’s because I forgot to take her to the potty for more than an hour. So she gets it – hooray!!! In the words of Commander Peter Quincy Taggart (Galaxy Quest), “Never give up- never surrender!!”

Potty Training Tips from my BSM and mine added:
  • Pick a week where you have nothing going on and plan to not leave the house. This means the meals are planned (I planned super easy ones that week) and the food is in the fridge (this includes a fun treat such as chocolate teddy grahams, flavored mini-rice cakes or fruit snacks for potty rewards; I also did extra special treats for pooping on the potty since that was such a hard thing for her). Prep your sweetie a few days before that “We’re not going to wear diapers anymore, we’re going to go peepee in the potty. Yaaaay!” I kept saying this to build up excitement! I also made a big deal of setting up the potty and let her pick out Dora and Elmo diapers. 12 is a good amount to start with, but you can do with less if you like.
  • The first morning, throw away her diaper and have her say “Bye-Bye Diapers!” Put panties on; give her milk and then sit her on the potty 15-20 minutes after she finishes it (time varies). If she goes, she gets a reward. If not, try again 5-10 minutes later.
  • If she goes in the potty- reward. If she goes in her panties, tell her very sweetly and without condemnation or frustration, “We don’t go peepee on Dora, yucky!” Have her clean herself with a wet wipe and sit on the potty to get it all out (this is often 2-5 minutes in the beginning). Then have her clean up the peepee on the floor wherever it landed. Of course you’ll have to finish the job.
  • Give her liquids so that she gets lots of times to practice. However, avoid giving her food or drink within 2 hours (if you can) of going to bed. For me, it looked like this.
    • 8:30 – milk
    • 9:30 – breakfast
    • 12 – milk & lunch
    • 2 – naptime
    • 5:30 – dinner and milk
    • 7:15 – bedtime
  • The first 2 days, it seemed she would pee a little every 15 minutes or so. I would often sit her on the potty for 5 minutes and after she got off, I’d set the timer for 10-15 minutes. Then we’d go again. She didn’t like it and would sometimes whine or cry. I’d just reassure her and tell her “let’s practice, you can do it!” I’d make a big deal every time she went and make no issue if she didn’t go.
  • Don’t be afraid to text friends all throughout the process; ask for prayer and confess any sins or frustrations. PRAY A LOT!
  • Ask someone to be there with you for a few hours on the first day, for moral support
  • Write down the times your munchkin eats, drinks, pees & poops for the 1st three days. It’ll really help you with planning when to put him/her on the seat in the future.
  • Get books from the library in the weeks leading up and watch lots of youtube clips and TV clips about pottying (Daniel Tiger, Elmo; Youtube: “Go Potty Go,” “I Have to go Potty” etc). I filled the potty training days with watching these things to keep it fresh on her mind.
  • Make sure you have lots of fun together playing, dancing etc (and avoid doing anything that takes all of your focus away for long periods of time). I had many moments of dropping everything and running her to the potty.
  • Set your expectations at cleaning up tons of pee (and poop) for a week. If s/he gets it faster, you’ll be pleasantly surprised! Don’t be afraid to throw away pooped-in underpants.
  • I expected one week of potty training. I would encourage any potty training parent to think of it as 2 full weeks of boot camp training. After that, accidents will probably be few and far between.

If you’re about to embark on this journey, be encouraged. It’s exciting on the other side… You and your little one CAN DO IT!!!

1 comment: